Preparation time: 10 minutes approx.
- 200g Red Lion Foods cooked ham
- 400g pasta shapes
- 1 medium onion
- 50g butter
- 50g plain flour
- 500ml milk
- 3 large handfuls of fresh spinach, washed
- 2 large handfuls of grated cheese
- Salt & pepper
Cooking Time: 35 minutes approx.
Replace the spinach with frozen peas
just add to the boiling pasta for the final 2 minutes of cooking.
- Add the pasta to boiling, slightly salted water and cook for 8-9 minutes.
- Meanwhile, peel and finely chop the onion. Gently heat the butter and add the onion. Fry gently until soft but not browned, for approximately 5 minutes.
- Remove the onion from the pan and reserve. Add a little more butter if needed, melt and stir in the flour. Keep stirring, adding the milk a little at a time. Stir until bubbling, then cook gently for a further 2 minutes.
- Drain the pasta and combine with the sauce mixture and onion.
- Chop the ham into strips or cubes and stir into the pasta mixture, along with the spinach, and season.
- Pour the pasta mixture into an oven-proof dish, sprinkle with the cheese, and bake in the oven at 180 degrees for 20 minutes.
- Serve with salad and crusty bread.